“The unexamined life is not worth living.” ~ Socrates
It’s an ongoing question for many entrepreneurs: How do you know if you’re living your life purpose? I don’t know how anyone can be 100 percent certain because life is a continuous journey, and when we get to one level another presents itself.
Are we moving from one purpose to the next?
Perhaps. It really is about what you’re doing NOW to get to your bigger vision – some call it your destiny — that is your life purpose NOW.
How I Decided On My Life Purpose
Over the past few years, I’ve done a lot of soul searching, questioning my own purpose. Finally, I got tired of trying to figure it out and one day declared that my life purpose is JOY, working with HAPPY clients. Simple as that.
I let go and stopped worrying about it.
But then the question arose:
What truly brings me joy in my business?
When I dig deep into my soul, I know it’s to lead other women to live their own life purpose — whether I do that through speaking, coaching, hosting a virtual event, or helping them brand their business.
If there’s one thing I have to offer after so many years as a dedicated entrepreneur, it’s wisdom based on experience. I say dedicated because I’ve had enough downs where I could have easily given up at least a dozen times, but, thankfully, there was always a success around the corner to keep me going.
The lessons learned were necessary to enable me to support others through their own ‘downs’ and insecurities, and times of self-doubt.
You really can’t lead others to transformation unless you’ve been transformed yourself.
So, in my experience, when it comes to fulfilling your life purpose, here are 10 clues that you’re on the right path:
- You are happy MOST of the time. Obviously, if you wake up in the morning and dread getting out of bed, something needs to change.
- Money flows to you easily. It might not be enough – yet – but at least it’s coming in. Passion gets you so far, but getting paid for your passion keeps you motivated.
- You love the clients you’re working with. Sure, every once in a while a bad apple makes its way into the barrel, but only to serve as a reminder of what you don’t want!
- You’re so over bright, shiny object syndrome. You finally realize that everything you have is within you. Yes, you should still have a mentor to guide you along, and maybe a course here and there to fill in the gaps, but you’ve stopped searching for that magic bullet.
- Opportunities show up that lead you closer to your big vision. And you’ve learned to say no to those that lead you away from it.
- When you visualize your future self, it’s not much different than where you are now. Maybe you’re not ready to buy that luxury condo in Florida yet, but ‘signs of land’ are more and more frequent. Trust, believe and keep moving forward.
- What you do seems effortless. It’s part of you. Ideas – and answers – come easily, and you flow through life (for the most part).
- You really are the “go-to” expert in your field. You’re easily attracting clients, not chasing them, and ‘imposter syndrome’ is not even a fleeting thought.
- Work isn’t work at all. Time flies and you’re having fun.
- You ARE the change you want to see in the world. You are secure enough to know what you stand for and you’re not afraid to get your message out in a big way.
If you’re not there yet, don’t worry. Know that you’re exactly where you need to be NOW, and with a few intentional course corrections – and a lot of patience – you WILL get there.
There is power in just letting things flow.
And often that’s where you’ll find your own purpose. Just be sure to enjoy the journey along the way.